How to Combine PDF Files Quickly and Easily    Egypt's agricultural exports climb to 8.5m tons in 2025    CIB launches training programme, awareness campaigns for Global Fraud Awareness Week    ABE chair meets Beheira, Daqahleya governors to advance agricultural development    Israel accused of ceasefire violations as humanitarian risks escalate in Gaza    Maternal, fetal health initiative screens over 3.6 million pregnant women    Banque Misr signs EGP 3bn revolving credit facility with SODIC    The Future Begins Now: A National Alliance Bridging the Gap Between Classroom Seats and Leadership Dreams    Ahl Masr Burn Hospital Concludes First Scientific Forum, Prepares for Expanded Second Edition in 2026    Australia returns 17 rare ancient Egyptian artefacts    Gold prices edge lower on Thursday    Egypt expands rollout of Universal Health Insurance    Cairo affirms commitment to Lebanese sovereignty, urges halt to cross-border violations    China invites Egypt to join African duty-free export scheme    Egypt calls for stronger Africa-Europe partnership at Luanda summit    Egypt begins 2nd round of parliamentary elections with 34.6m eligible voters    Egypt warns of erratic Ethiopian dam operations after sharp swings in Blue Nile flows    Egypt scraps parliamentary election results in 19 districts over violations    Egypt extends Ramses II Tokyo Exhibition as it draws 350k visitors to date    Egypt signs host agreement for Barcelona Convention COP24 in December    Al-Sisi urges probe into election events, says vote could be cancelled if necessary    Filmmakers, experts to discuss teen mental health at Cairo festival panel    Cairo International Film Festival to premiere 'Malaga Alley,' honour Khaled El Nabawy    Cairo hosts African Union's 5th Awareness Week on Post-Conflict Reconstruction on 19 Nov.    Egypt golf team reclaims Arab standing with silver; Omar Hisham Talaat congratulates team    Egypt launches National Strategy for Rare Diseases at PHDC'25    Egypt adds trachoma elimination to health success track record: WHO    Grand Egyptian Museum welcomes over 12,000 visitors on seventh day    'Royalty on the Nile': Grand Ball of Monte-Carlo comes to Cairo    Egypt launches Red Sea Open to boost tourism, international profile    Omar Hisham Talaat: Media partnership with 'On Sports' key to promoting Egyptian golf tourism    Sisi expands national support fund to include diplomats who died on duty    Egypt's PM reviews efforts to remove Nile River encroachments    Egypt resolves dispute between top African sports bodies ahead of 2027 African Games    Germany among EU's priciest labour markets – official data    Paris Olympic gold '24 medals hit record value    It's a bit frustrating to draw at home: Real Madrid keeper after Villarreal game    Russia says it's in sync with US, China, Pakistan on Taliban    Shoukry reviews with Guterres Egypt's efforts to achieve SDGs, promote human rights    Sudan says countries must cooperate on vaccines    Johnson & Johnson: Second shot boosts antibodies and protection against COVID-19    Egypt to tax bloggers, YouTubers    Egypt's FM asserts importance of stability in Libya, holding elections as scheduled    We mustn't lose touch: Muller after Bayern win in Bundesliga    Egypt records 36 new deaths from Covid-19, highest since mid June    Egypt sells $3 bln US-dollar dominated eurobonds    Gamal Hanafy's ceramic exhibition at Gezira Arts Centre is a must go    Italian Institute Director Davide Scalmani presents activities of the Cairo Institute for ITALIANA.IT platform    







Thank you for reporting!
This image will be automatically disabled when it gets reported by several people.



To reconcile or not to reconcile?
Published in Al-Ahram Weekly on 12 - 02 - 2013

Two requests from Hussein Salem, a fugitive businessman, and Rachid Mohamed Rachid, a former trade minister who is currently in the United Arab Emirates, were last week presented for settlement agreements, or so-called reconciliation, that would offer immunity from prosecution in exchange for the return of misappropriated funds.
The requests came in the wake of an announcement by Egypt's Public Funds Prosecution Service (PFPS) a few weeks ago that it would be ready to settle outstanding cases concerning the embezzlement of public funds with a number of Mubarak-era officials.
In the wake of the ouster of former president Hosni Mubarak during the 25 January Revolution two years ago, many former ministers and well-connected businessmen have been facing charges of corruption, money laundering and profiteering. Some of them have been jailed, while others have fled the country.
Among such prominent figures are Ahmed Nazif, a former prime minister, Youssef Boutros Ghali, a former minister of finance, former trade minister Rachid Mohamed Rachid, Hussein Salem, a businessman, Ahmed Ezz, a steel tycoon and former high-ranking official in the former ruling National Democratic Party, former housing minister Ahmed Al-Maghrabi, and Zoheir Garana, a former tourism minister.
Hussein Salem, one of Mubarak's closest associates, has been accused of making illegal profits from Egyptian gas sales to Israel through a major stake in East Mediterranean Gas which carried out the exports.
Salem's lawyer has submitted a formal request to Prosecutor-General Talaat Abdallah to seek a settlement in return for half of his property inside and outside Egypt.
Hassan Yassin, an assistant prosecutor, told the press that a decision would be made this week on whether or not to reach a legal settlement with Salem. The request is being considered, he said, and procedures would be known this week.
Former minister of trade and industry Rachid Mohamed Rachid has also requested a settlement.
The PFPS said that the state prosecutor was not party to political issues and that the idea of the settlements had emerged after the government had agreed to settle disputes with Mubarak-era officials. The PFPS's primary role was to protect public funds and the public interest, it said.
However, the idea of the settlements has sharply divided the public into two camps, with the first supporting reconciliation and the other against.
Hafez Abdel-Aziz, an employee, said that all of Egypt needed to be reconciled with each other. “We have big problems coming in the future, and we won't survive if we are divided. We need to get past these distractions. I want the government to take back the people's money. Once that is done, I don't care what happens to these people who are stopping us from improving Egypt. Let bygones be bygones, and let's work to improve the future,” he said.
Others refused to countenance any such reconciliation with individuals who had broken the law. “It is unfair that an individual should escape punishment just because he has money and is willing to pay for his freedom. The law must be respected, and it must be applied to put an end to corruption and to prevent officials and businessmen from financial misdealing in the future,” said Ahmed Attia, a teacher.
The government of Prime Minister Hisham Kandil has attempted before to settle cases with businessmen charged with illegally acquiring public funds and property during the Mubarak era. These overtures have been met with widespread criticism from opposition groups.
While the public is divided over the issue, President Mohamed Morsi took the decision in January to seek settlements with members of the former Mubarak regime because of the present economic crisis, hoping that the settlements could inject funds into an ailing economy.
On 13 January, Mustafa Al-Husseini, head of the PFPS, announced that prosecutors were ready to discuss settlements with some 20 individuals already found guilty of stealing public funds, including several Mubarak-era cronies, in exchange for the reimbursement of funds that had been illegally obtained.
Such settlements would be pursued with individuals not also involved in the killings of protesters during the 25 January Revolution, he said.
The proposals have been welcomed by economists, who believe that it will benefit the economy and that the state will be able to regain looted funds that are often otherwise untraceable.
“As long as a businessman is not also charged with another crime, reconciliation is preferable on condition that clear criteria regulating the process are announced,” said Ahmed Ghoneim, a professor of economics at Cairo University.
Ghoneim said that the trial of businessmen in front of regular courts gave a bad reputation to investment in Egypt. Such financial cases should be dealt with through the administrative courts, he said, and it would be better if they were kept out of the criminal courts from the beginning.
“These cases have a negative impact not only on investors, but also on current officials, who refrain from approving any procedures or regulations out of fears that they too could end up in prison,” Ghoneim said.
Manal Metwalli, director of the Economic and Financial Research Centre, also supported the proposals, saying that “reconciliation will save the reputation of Egypt's investment climate”.
Metwally added that this had been harmed by verdicts issued in 2012 relating to privatised companies, and some foreign investors had filed suits against Egypt in international arbitration as a result.
However, “clear criteria are needed, and the government should explain to the public what the criteria are,” Metwalli said, adding that before any cases were decided a committee of experts should be formed to study the costs of reconciliation and decide clear and objective criteria.
The committee should also discuss different scenarios and determine how any money recovered would be used.
“We need a law to regulate the whole process of reconciliation,” Metwalli said, though according to the PFPS no new legislation is planned. Prosecutors say that the settlements can be carried out within the framework of an investment-promotion law drafted in 1997 and a declaration issued by Egypt's former ruling Supreme Council of the Armed Forces (SCAF) in January 2012, which allows prosecutors to negotiate charges of fraud facing those having close relations with the former regime.
Hanaa Kheireddin, a professor of economics at Cairo University, agreed that the prosecutions had frightened foreign investors and had further distorted Egypt's balance of payments and put considerable downward pressure on the pound.
Reconciliation with the businessmen was a good step, she said, since they were not always guilty of corruption. “There are many businessmen committed to contracts signed with former officials. They followed the regulations put in place by the former regime, which permitted otherwise illegal practices,” Kheireddin said.
Although some experts believe that the amnesty could calm investors' anxiety over the fates of some of the country's leading businessmen, the move has been opposed by several human rights groups which believe that it violates the rule of law.
It also violates the rights of the Egyptian public, the groups say, as it stipulates that offenders must return improperly acquired funds to those funds' original value, thus ignoring the appreciation of the assets since their illegal acquisition.
However, some activists say that such settlements are inevitable given the country's worsening economic situation and the weakness of the cases against many former regime officials accused of corruption.
Last week, Finance Minister Morsi Hegazi said that Egypt had reclaimed less than LE100 million in illegally acquired funds from Mubarak-era officials who were either suspected of, or charged with, corruption.

Among the accused
Prominent former regime figures accused of corruption and profiteering include:
Ahmed Nazif, a former prime minister accused of profiteering and illegal enrichment. He has spent one year in jail, having been given a three-year prison sentence and fined LE9 million.
Youssef Boutros Ghali, a former finance minister accused of corruption and profiteering. In June 2012, he was sentenced to two 15-year sentences in absentia for waste of public money and abuse of power. In July 2012, Ghali was sentenced to 10 years in prison for profiteering. An extradition request has been made to the UK authorities.
Rachid Mohamed Rachid, a former trade minister accused of corruption and profiteering. In June 2012, Rachid was sentenced to five years in prison in absentia. In September 2012, he was sentenced to another 15 years. An extradition request has been made to the UAE.
Ahmed Al-Maghrabi, a former housing minister accused of corruption. In May 2012, he was sentenced to five years in prison and an extradition request made to Qatar.
Ahmed Ezz, a steel magnate and former ruling party official accused of wasting public funds and money laundering. He was sentenced to 10 years in prison in September 2012. Ezz was sentenced to a further seven years in prison in October 2012 and fined LE19.5 billion.
Zoheir Garana, a former tourism minister accused of corruption. In May 2012, Garana was sentenced to five years in prison, and in September 2012 he was sentenced to a further three years for unlawfully issuing company licenses.
Hussein Salem, a business tycoon and one of former president Mubarak's closest associates. He has been accused of fraud relating to the Israeli gas deal and a Red Sea land sale. Salem was convicted in October 2011, along with his son Khaled and daughter Magda, to seven years in jail and a combined fine of more than $4 billion on charges of money laundering and profiteering. He also faces trial in Spain for money laundering. An extradition request has been made to Spain.
Anas Al-Feki, a former information minister accused of corruption. He was sentenced to seven years in prison in September 2012.


Clic here to read the story from its source.