Kuwait, Bahrain report coronavirus in people who visited Iran    Afghanistan confirms first case of coronavirus from three suspected    Is Nefertiti's long-looked-for mysterious mummy buried next to Tutankhamun's?    Egyptian Irrigation Minister discusses accomplishments of country's mission in Uganda    Social Solidarity Ministry to restructure its activities in cooperation with private sector: El–Kabbaj    Alexbank, EBRD sign $100m agreement    Naguib Sawiris in talks to acquire 51% stake in Shalateen state-owned mining firm    Al Ahly, Zamalek play 2nd Cairo Derby in less than 96 hours    Government's amendment to oil agreements, price review prompt industry to rise again: Shell    Libya National Army say 16 Turkish soldiers killed in fighting    Programme: Japanese Film Week kicks off at Cairo Opera House    Iran raises death toll from new virus to 8, infections to 43    Egyptian MP takes over presidency of Parliamentary Assembly of the Mediterranean    ACWA Power to develop Egypt's sustainable water desalination sector    Egypt's Arab Contractors to finish New Capital's Parliament Building within weeks    BREAKING: Former CAF general secretary Amr Fahmy dies - reports    Amr Fahmy former CAF general-secretary, dies battling cancer    Lebanese hospital uses healing power of music to fight cancer    Iran's state TV: Hardliners win all seats for Tehran in vote    Italy coronavirus cases increase to more than 100    Brexit team seeks to evade Irish Sea checks on goods    Mohamed Ramadan: Former aviation minister says pilot deserves ban    KFAED in Egypt to discuss Sinai development projects    Mahraganat: controversy over barring Egyptian street popular music    Saudi-led coalition says foiled Red Sea attack by Yemen's Houthis    Milan coach Pioli angry after draw with Fiorentina    Real boss Zidane pessimistic about Hazard injury ahead of vital week    70th Berlinale kicks off with My Salinger Year starring Sigourney Weaver    COVID-19 toll reaches 2,360 deaths, 77,700 infections so far    Madbouly joins high-level African judiciary meeting on terrorism    South Sudan president reappoints rebel leader Machar in unity government    Egypt's Sisi stresses commitment to success of Ethiopian dam negotiations    Al-Sisi discusses enhancing commercial cooperation with Chile    Egypt's Ghada Wali sworn in as UN Office on Drugs and Crime executive head    Mashrabia Gallery participates in 1-54 African Contemporary Art Fair Marrakech 2020 ( 22-23 February)    Cairo court acquits Mubarak's sons of stock market manipulation    Egypt seeks justice, development for Africa: PM    Egypt court acquits Alaa and Gamal Mubarak of the 'stock market manipulation' case    Soma Bay to host Golf Gourmet Week with 150 international golfers    Egypt court reverses order to release activist Alaa Abdel-Fattah from detention    Pompeo says Ethiopia-Egypt massive dam dispute could take months    Man behind cut, copy and paste shortcuts dies aged 74    Al Ahly play Zamalek for Egypt Super Cup in Abu Dhabi    Little Women on its way to become a classic    UEFA Champions League: defending champions Liverpool clash with Atletico Madrid    Chinese Grand Prix likely to be called off amid coronavirus concerns    Egypt's Golden Age actress, Nadia Lutfi, dies at 83    Egypt's President Sisi pardons some prisoners on 25 Jan. Revolution anniversary    







Thank you for reporting!
This image will be automatically disabled when it gets reported by several people.





Journalist Amr Badr recounts Press Syndicate incidents in defence of sentenced leaders
Badr argues that no one was informed of the outstanding arrest warrants, despite inquiries with police stations
Published in Daily News Egypt on 21 - 11 - 2016

Journalist Amr Badr issued a statement Monday clarifying his version of the incidents that led to the trial of the Press Syndicate's president and two board members, and the verdict sentencing them to prison time on Saturday.
Badr's main argument was that no one had been officially informed that he was wanted by the judiciary. This was also mentioned in his official testimony.
Syndicate president Yehia Qalash, secretary general Gamal Abdul Reheem, and board member Khaled El-Balshy were charged by the court with harbouring wanted suspects (Badr and journalist Mahmoud Al-Saqqa), plotting, and helping the two evade justice.
Badr and Al-Saqqa went to the syndicate on 30 April. "We were not officially informed of an arrest warrant issued for us. We went to the syndicate to announce a strike in objection to the repeated raids on our houses but we were not running away from anything," Badr wrote on Facebook Monday.
According to Badr, syndicate board member Mahmoud Kamel tried to inquire about arrest warrants at the police station but was told there was no information. "It seems even the police station didn't know about these alleged warrants," Badr said.
The journalist said they suspected that arrest warrants could have been issued and so decided to act upon it. "I agreed with [Qalash] that in case there were warrants, we should head to the prosecution authorities with the syndicate's legal representative," Badr said.
In the meantime, Qalash had been contacting officials from the executive and judicial authorities to find out more about the journalists' status.
According to the court's reasoning, they were planning to go to the prosecution after two consecutive days of national holidays.
"We decided to spend those nights at the syndicate," Badr said, adding that they had barely seen Abdul Reheem and El-Balshy who were heading to Morocco that day, and were actually there when the raid took place.
Yet, the court's reasoning relied on security reports asserting that Badr and Al-Saqqa sought to escape arrest warrants issued for them by taking shelter at the Press Syndicate, which in turn chose to help them hide despite knowing they were wanted by the judiciary.
But the defendants and the journalists denied these charges, and accused the Interior Ministry of breaking into the syndicate on 1 May in violation of the law and in an unprecedented assault on its headquarters.
On the other hand, security reports argued the opposite: that Badr and Al-Saqqa went to the syndicate with the help of the three defendants in an attempt to avoid them being arrested.
Among the evidence used in the case were copies of articles published on Al-Bedaiah website, whose editor-in-chief is El-Balshy, the third defendant in the case. The reports said that the articles were published on 29 and 30 April announcing the house raids and the journalists' open strike at the syndicate.
However, the chronological details were different. On 30 April, Al-Bedaiah published an article that portrayed Badr and Al-Saqqa's condemnations of repeated raids on their homes, upon claims by security forces that the prosecution issued search warrants. The article did not mention arrest warrants or the syndicate.
The article featured a letter by Badr saying that the police stormed his home while he was absent, and that he wishes to file an official complaint regarding the robbery of his personal belongings, including a camera and a laptop.
On 30 April, Al-Bedaiah published an article saying: "Badr and Al-Saqqa launched an open strike at the syndicate in objection to arbitrary security measures against them." According to El-Balshy, this came after the two had come to the syndicate and announced their plans.
The Press Syndicate strongly condemned the police raid of 1 May and argued that the institution should have been officially notified about the arrest warrants by the Ministry of Interior. In this case, there would have been compliance, according to the law, which requires at least the presence of the president of the syndicate or his representative during the arrest.


Clic here to read the story from its source.