EgyptAir receives 9th Airbus aircraft A220-300, 3rd A320neo family aircraft    Egyptian chief of staff attends main phase of Bashir-21 military drills    Coronavirus infects hundreds in China's prisons as global markets take hit    Rawda Island where Shajar al-Durr hides Egypt's ruler body; unlucky prince build palace    Inaugural Alexandria Francophone Film Festival accepts entries    Strategy for electric car manufacturing in Egypt imperative    Saudi Red Sea Film Festival announces lineup    Berlinale celebrates 70 years with return to political roots    Shooting Club to convert membership cards into payment cards    Aswan's Toshka Culture Palace reopens after renovations    EBRD to lend Almarai $100m for dairy investments in Egypt, Jordan    Video: Egypt Joins 10 Most Powerful Militaries In The World 2020    'Incredible' Bale deserves more respect, says Casemiro    Iranians vote in election, hardliners set to dominate    Passenger train partly derails in Australia, killing 2    Taliban, Afghan officials say reach pact to reduce violence    China to play home leg of Olympic qualifier in Sydney due to coronavirus    List of sports events affected by new virus from China    Arsenal boss Arteta hails Saka impact after win at Olympiakos    Egypt's central bank keeps overnight interest rates steady    Egypt court reverses order to release activist Alaa Abdel-Fattah from detention    New Capital's Central Business District to receive EGP9bln investments during 2020    China's Hubei tells firms not to resume work before March 11 amid coronavirus worries    China warns of potential long-term impact of coronavirus on key industries    Catfish, tilapia fossils found in Libya's southwestern Sahara    South Korea announces first coronavirus death    Tomb of Rome's founder discovered    Pompeo says Ethiopia-Egypt massive dam dispute could take months    Sudan to host 14th Nile Day in Khartoum on Saturday    Man behind cut, copy and paste shortcuts dies aged 74    Eastern Mediterranean countries have the capacity to diagnose COVID-19: WHO    Etisalat Misr revenues increase 22% at 2019 end    Egypt posts 5.6% growth rate during H1 of 2019/20    Al Ahly play Zamalek for Egypt Super Cup in Abu Dhabi    Egypt's PM appoints Ahmed El-Sobky as head of General Healthcare Authority    Egypt court orders release of activist Alaa Abdel-Fattah    Samsung controls Egyptian smartphone sales, Huawei a far second    Al-Assad says recapturing Aleppo does not mean end of war    Sudan denies claims about relinquishing Nile water share to Egypt    Little Women on its way to become a classic    UEFA Champions League: defending champions Liverpool clash with Atletico Madrid    Sharm El Sheikh receives 2 UK flights in 4 years    Zamalek dominate Africa from Doha    Chinese Grand Prix likely to be called off amid coronavirus concerns    Egypt's Golden Age actress, Nadia Lutfi, dies at 83    Basketball legend Kobe Bryant, Daughter Gianna die in helicopter crash    Egypt's President Sisi pardons some prisoners on 25 Jan. Revolution anniversary    Egypt's Sami Anan released after near two-year detention    







Thank you for reporting!
This image will be automatically disabled when it gets reported by several people.





A blunder in Maspero
Published in Al-Ahram Weekly on 27 - 09 - 2016

The head of the Egyptian Radio and Television Union (ERTU), Safaa Hegazi, has dismissed Mustafa Shehata, head of state television's news department, for broadcasting an old interview with President Abdel-Fattah Al-Sisi, who was in New York for the 71st session of the UN General Assembly, instead of a recent interview recorded last week.
During his stay in New York, Al-Sisi was interviewed by the American Public Broadcasting Service (PBS) network for the second consecutive year.
On Tuesday last week ERTU aired Al-Sisi's interview with PBS's chief foreign affairs correspondent Margaret Warner conducted on 28 September 2015, when the state-run Channel 1 should have broadcast a newer interview with host Charlie Rose on 19 September 2016. The wrong interview was on the air for nearly 10 minutes before the broadcast was halted when staff realised the mistake.
“The Radio and Television Union apologises for the grave mistake made by the news department,” the ERTU said in a statement issued last week. The statement added that due to the error it subsequently decided to sack Shehata as head of the department.
Following Shehata's dismissal, Hegazi, who runs state television, ordered his deputy Khaled Mehanna in his place.
“Mehanna will take office until a new chief is appointed,” the statement added.
Hegazi later apologised for the “grave mistake” and said an investigation was underway to identify those responsible.
Egypt's administrative prosecution was reported on Friday to have opened an investigation with TV officials over the presidential interview blunder.
Shehata described the mix-up as a “gross error”. He said the mistake was made due to a “change in shifts”. He blamed the mistake on Nihal Aref, the person in charge of co-ordination, who has been suspended and questioned.
“State TV was not airing Al-Sisi's speech at the UN. It broadcast it via the websites of satellite channels that air General Assembly events. The interview was aired by mistake after accessing the PBS website,” he added.
The blunder has stirred controversy in the media community while sarcastic comments filled social media.
Nihal Rizq, media officer at the US embassy in Cairo, posted on Facebook, saying, “What a loss. It's a scandal that you air the president's interview with Margaret Warner of last year as if it's the new interview made yesterday with Charlie Rose.” Rizq added, “The problem is that other websites took it from Egyptian TV, making the scandal more complicated.”
The gaffe drew heavy criticism from the anchors of pro-Sisi private television channels. For Abeer Al-Saadi, former vice president of the Press Syndicate, such anti-ERTU criticism following the incident raised concerns, notably a campaign by rich pro-government businessmen aiming to hold sway over the media.
“The mistake occurred and requires an investigation and accountability, but the way that public TV, which is supposedly owned by the people, was attacked is suspicious because it dovetails with the rise of pro-regime monopolies owned by businessmen,” Al-Saadi was quoted as saying by Al-Arabiya. She added that firing the head of the news sector without further investigation gave a false impression of justice.
Several talk show anchors attacked ERTU after the blunder, describing it as “a temple of the outlawed Muslim Brotherhood”. Pro-Al-Sisi anchor Ahmed Moussa said in his show on Sada Al-Balad that there were countless patriotic Egyptians at Maspero but also pockets of terrorists, and that engineers and technicians were the most dangerous among them. “The building is a temple of the [outlawed] Muslim Brotherhood,” Moussa said.
MP and TV anchor Mustafa Bakri said in his TV show on the same private channel that a campaign “to cleanse” Maspero was underway, and an emergency meeting of parliament's media committee had been scheduled to call for an investigation into the interview flop.
“There are [Brotherhood] elements inside Maspero who were appointed during the tenure of information minister Salah Abdel-Maqsoud when the Brotherhood was in power, and others appointed prior to that, in addition to organisations that are enemies of the state, like the 6 April movement and revolutionary socialists,” Bakri added.


Clic here to read the story from its source.