Egypt's NBE, Banque Misr collect EGP 705 bln from high-yielding CDs issued on March 21    Gold prices in Egypt on May 24    Saudi Arabia's Mouwasat signs MoU to acquire Egypt's Al-Marasem International Hospital    Egypt to inaugurate new Sphinx International Airport in mid-July    Turkey's finance minister to visit Egypt for first time in 9 years    Finland and Sweden formally apply to join NATO alliance    Saudi Arabia prolongs Yemen central bank's deposit    Egypt Knauf launches its first training centre in Egypt    Egypt uncovers official logo for COP27    Noura Al-Mutair – first Gulf female boxer in World Championships    Egypt unveils 50 pound coin minted to mark Avenue of Sphinxes grand reopening    Liverpool fans: "You'll Never Walk Alone" to Cristiano Ronaldo    Hot, rainy weather hits Egypt this week    COVID-19 in Egypt: infections fall to 124 cases last week    Egypt to play key role in integrating water, climate issues globally – World Bank official    Egypt's telecoms regulator announces working hours for holy month of Ramadan    Maha karara joins AAIB as Head of Corporate Communications, Sustainability    Egypt works on charting cooperation strategies with international institutions for 5 years: Al-Mashat    Over 2.4 million newborns examined for hearing impairment: Health Ministry    Netflix releases trailer of Arab adaption of 'Perfect Strangers' film    Balqees to headline concert celebrating launch of streaming giant LIVENow in MENA    Sawsan Badr to be honoured at Aswan Women Film Festival    MP Abdel Hady Al-Qasby calls government to facilitate and support NGOs    Al-Sisi follows up on 'Great Transfiguration Project' in St. Catherine    Cairo, London stress need to strengthen cooperation to face climate change    Foreigners account for 22.6% of Egypt's T-bills issuances in 1H 2021: CBE    Egypt's ambassador to Italy passes away    Egypt confirms readiness to help African countries face terrorism and extremism    An estimated 235 million people needed humanitarian assistance and protection in 2021, an increase of 40% compared to 2020: IOM Egypt    Egypt, DRC discuss water cooperation during WYF    Egypt, DR Congo discuss boosting bilateral cooperation during WYF    Cameroonian police probe assault on three Algerian journalists covering AFCON    Pharaohs start AFCON 2021 campaign with fierce clash against Nigeria    Foreign Ministry opens capacity building course for French-speaking African diplomats    Egypt's trade with Nile basin countries climbs 26% y-o-y in 9 months    Ethiopia halts work at its embassy in Egypt for 'economic reasons'    Russia says it's in sync with US, China, Pakistan on Taliban    It's a bit frustrating to draw at home: Real Madrid keeper after Villarreal game    Shoukry reviews with Guterres Egypt's efforts to achieve SDGs, promote human rights    Sudan says countries must cooperate on vaccines    Johnson & Johnson: Second shot boosts antibodies and protection against COVID-19    Egypt to tax bloggers, YouTubers    Egypt's FM asserts importance of stability in Libya, holding elections as scheduled    We mustn't lose touch: Muller after Bayern win in Bundesliga    Egypt records 36 new deaths from Covid-19, highest since mid June    Egypt sells $3 bln US-dollar dominated eurobonds    Gamal Hanafy's ceramic exhibition at Gezira Arts Centre is a must go    Italian Institute Director Davide Scalmani presents activities of the Cairo Institute for ITALIANA.IT platform    







Thank you for reporting!
This image will be automatically disabled when it gets reported by several people.



Protecting the players
Published in Ahram Online on 03 - 11 - 2020

In his weekly meeting with Minister of Youth and Sports Ashraf Sobhi, Hussein Labib, head of the Local Organising Committee (LOC) of Egypt's 2021 Handball Men's World Championship highlighted the fact that Egyptian President Abdel-Fattah Al-Sisi is following up the preparations being taken to make the championship a “spectacular event”. Labib also announced that the four indoor halls that will host the event will be ready by the end of October.
“This is a great success for our country to be able to set up such sports facilities in a very short time and amid the economic effects of the Covid-19 virus on the world as a whole,” Labib said. “The International Handball Federation (IHF) supervision committee was dazzled by the new halls that were built especially for the event. I hope that the pandemic will soon be over so that we can enjoy a remarkable event in Egypt.”
The schedule for all 108 matches of the championship, which will take place in Egypt from 13 to 31 January 2021, have been confirmed.
All matches in the preliminary round, main round and the first 12 matches of the President's Cup will start at 16.30, 19.00 and 21.30 respectively (Egypt local time) – a total of 96 matches.
Following this, the 25-32 placement matches will get underway at 16.00 and 18.30, with the quarter-finals and semi-finals taking place at 18.30 and 21.30, the bronze medal match at 15.30 and the final at 18.30.
The championship is the first-ever IHF event to feature 32 teams in the newly-expanded competition format, and it will also see the new match scheme which guarantees every team a rest day after a match day, meaning no more back-to-back matches for the players.
On the other hand, the medical commission of the 2021 championship has released its plan to safeguard the international event from the coronavirus pandemic.
Under the helm of Dr Hazem Khamis, the commission's head, a four-stage plan has been announced. The first starts one month before the launch of the tournament during which a commission affiliated to the preventive sector of the Egyptian Health Ministry will classify the degree of coronavirus activity in the countries that will take part in the championship.
The commission will raise the level of preventive measures while dealing with the countries which are witnessing a medium level of the virus activity as well as applying quarantine measures to all participants, who will undergo PCR tests when they arrive at their designated hotels and that it will be repeated every 72 hours.
The second stage will include raising the awareness of all delegations by introducing training methods and instructions for all participants in the tournament via a booklet which will be received in airport halls upon arrival.
Stage three includes preventive measures by screening temperatures at hotel entrances and training halls, and before boarding buses and before entering meeting rooms.
The fourth stage is related to how to deal with suspected infected cases.
The commission confirmed that the fourth phase ensures the crises and emergency room is open 24/7 and ready to receive reports from the governorates that will host the tournament as well as arranging with all stakeholders.
The commission will also designate a quick response team to be located in playing venues with preventive tools at the ready for dealing with any suspected cases.
Based on the recommendation of the IHF Covid-19 Medical Task Force, the IHF council decided to increase the number of players allowed per team.
Each team will be allowed 20 players instead of 18 on the definitive list, with the standard 16 still on the match report.
The measure is designed to provide teams a wider pool of players and to have more alternate players in case of any health issue that might occur. Additionally, the provision aims to avoid player injuries resulting from the reduced amount of training and matches due to the pandemic.
The IHF council also previously modified the regulation regarding the maximum number of replacements for each team competing at an IHF World Championship from three to five. This is to ensure no team is forced to make unsafe decisions and that players can be more easily replaced.
Meanwhile, Mahmoud Al-Adl, Egyptian Handball Federation (EHF) board member and member of the IHF Medical Committee, highlighted that the LOC has agreed to increase training halls to nine to make it easier for the teams to train and maintain social distancing with other teams.
Earlier this week, IHF President Hassan Mustafa joined Egyptian Prime Minister Mustafa Madbouli, Minister of Youth and Sports Sobhi, Housing and Urban Communities Minister Assem Al-Gazzar and Egyptian Handball Federation President Hesham Nasr, among other officials, on a tour of the soon-to-be-completed 6th of October Sports Hall in Giza.
The tour took the officials to key parts in the hall, including the court, spectator and VIP seating, warm-up courts and changing rooms. They were updated on the work currently underway, which currently sees 95 per cent of the hall completed.
The 5,200-capacity hall will be the venue for 30 games in the tournament. It will host preliminary round matches in Group A (Germany, Hungary, Uruguay, Cape Verde) and Group E (Norway, Austria, France, USA), the main round and the President's Cup from 20 to 25 January, in addition to two more President's Cup games and one quarter-final on Wednesday 27 January.
Meanwhile, the IHF Council selected the United States to represent the North America and the Caribbean Handball Confederation (NACHC) at the championship.
Difficulties organising a qualification tournament caused by Covid-19 led to NACHC President Mario Garcia de la Torre requesting a nominee from the IHF.
Egypt 2021 will be America's seventh World Championship appearance and the first since 2001. The US will join Norway, Austria and France in Group E.
*A version of this article appears in print in the 5 November, 2020 edition of Al-Ahram Weekly


Clic here to read the story from its source.