Ahl Masr Burn Hospital Concludes First Scientific Forum, Prepares for Expanded Second Edition in 2026    Egypt Tax Authority Standardises VAT Treatment for Exported Services, Issues Guidance    EGX ends week in green on 27 Nov.    Resilience, Innovation, and the Smart Home: Mohamed Ataya on GROHE's Strategic Vision for Egypt    Australia returns 17 rare ancient Egyptian artefacts    Asian stocks rise on Thursday    Oil prices dip on Thursday    Gaza death toll rises as humanitarian crisis deepens, Israeli offensive expands in West Bank    China's WINPEX to establish $15m lighting equipment plant in Ain Sokhna    Egypt expands rollout of Universal Health Insurance    Egypt's Al-Sisi links national progress to strict law enforcement, says society has role in reforming legal application    Cairo affirms commitment to Lebanese sovereignty, urges halt to cross-border violations    China invites Egypt to join African duty-free export scheme    Egypt, Algeria agree to deepen strategic ties, coordinate on Gaza ceasefire, regional crises    Egypt calls for stronger Africa-Europe partnership at Luanda summit    Egypt begins 2nd round of parliamentary elections with 34.6m eligible voters    Egypt warns of erratic Ethiopian dam operations after sharp swings in Blue Nile flows    Egypt scraps parliamentary election results in 19 districts over violations    Egypt extends Ramses II Tokyo Exhibition as it draws 350k visitors to date    Egypt signs host agreement for Barcelona Convention COP24 in December    Al-Sisi urges probe into election events, says vote could be cancelled if necessary    Filmmakers, experts to discuss teen mental health at Cairo festival panel    Cairo International Film Festival to premiere 'Malaga Alley,' honour Khaled El Nabawy    Cairo hosts African Union's 5th Awareness Week on Post-Conflict Reconstruction on 19 Nov.    Egypt golf team reclaims Arab standing with silver; Omar Hisham Talaat congratulates team    Egypt launches National Strategy for Rare Diseases at PHDC'25    Egypt adds trachoma elimination to health success track record: WHO    Grand Egyptian Museum welcomes over 12,000 visitors on seventh day    'Royalty on the Nile': Grand Ball of Monte-Carlo comes to Cairo    Egypt launches Red Sea Open to boost tourism, international profile    Omar Hisham Talaat: Media partnership with 'On Sports' key to promoting Egyptian golf tourism    Sisi expands national support fund to include diplomats who died on duty    Egypt's PM reviews efforts to remove Nile River encroachments    Egypt resolves dispute between top African sports bodies ahead of 2027 African Games    Germany among EU's priciest labour markets – official data    Paris Olympic gold '24 medals hit record value    It's a bit frustrating to draw at home: Real Madrid keeper after Villarreal game    Russia says it's in sync with US, China, Pakistan on Taliban    Shoukry reviews with Guterres Egypt's efforts to achieve SDGs, promote human rights    Sudan says countries must cooperate on vaccines    Johnson & Johnson: Second shot boosts antibodies and protection against COVID-19    Egypt to tax bloggers, YouTubers    Egypt's FM asserts importance of stability in Libya, holding elections as scheduled    We mustn't lose touch: Muller after Bayern win in Bundesliga    Egypt records 36 new deaths from Covid-19, highest since mid June    Egypt sells $3 bln US-dollar dominated eurobonds    Gamal Hanafy's ceramic exhibition at Gezira Arts Centre is a must go    Italian Institute Director Davide Scalmani presents activities of the Cairo Institute for ITALIANA.IT platform    







Thank you for reporting!
This image will be automatically disabled when it gets reported by several people.



Ghana FA to challenge report on World Cup money
Published in Ahram Online on 27 - 06 - 2015

The Ghana Football Association will challenge some of the findings of an inquiry which questioned how over $3.5 million meant for the team's preparations for last year's World Cup was used.
The GFA also said Saturday it was offended by the inquiry's description of an equipment manager who received a $100,000 appearance fee for the World Cup in Brazil as a "ball boy."
A report released this month said the GFA must explain how it spent $1.5 million from FIFA and another $2 million from the state-run Ghana National Petroleum Corporation.
Also, GFA President Kwesi Nyantakyi, a senior African soccer executive, should account for $200,000 given to him by the government to organize a friendly match ahead of the World Cup, the inquiry's report said.
In response, the GFA said that there were several "misleading and inaccurate conclusions" and it had instructed its lawyers to challenge the report's findings in court.
The GFA did not say which specific parts of the report it disagreed with, but appeared to be most upset with the description of Ismail Hamida, the national team's kit manager, as a "ball boy."
Hamida was one of a number of members of Ghana's management team at the World Cup in Brazil to get $100,000 in "appearance fees," according to the inquiry. Hamida, the players and head coach Kwesi Appiah all received $100,000, as did the masseuse and video analyst.
"We wish to state that the commission's description of the kit manager or equipment officer as a 'ball boy' is hideously inappropriate," the GFA said.
The commission that drafted the report was seeking to "mock" the official, the GFA said.
Following the release of the report, Ghana President John Mahama ordered an audit to investigate how the GFA spent the $3.5 million in World Cup preparation money.
Mahama's instructions also said a $200,000-payment from the government to federation head Nyantakyi for a warm-up game ahead of the tournament should be further investigated "to clear any doubt of double funding and/or misappropriation of funds."
Nyantakyi is a member of FIFA's Associations Committee and sits on the Confederation of African Football's top executive committee. He is also the president of the West African Football Union.
FIFA declined to comment on the inquiry, but said Ghana's soccer body had received its full amount of $8 million in prize money from FIFA for the 2014 World Cup.
Ghana's campaign at the tournament was chaotic, with players threatening to go on strike over unpaid bonuses. The government flew $3 million in cash to Brazil to keep the players playing.
A quarterfinalist in 2010, Ghana was eliminated in the group stage in Brazil without winning a game.
(For more sports news andupdates, followAhramOnlineSportson Twitter at@AO_Sportsand onFacebookatAhramOnlineSports.)
http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/133880.aspx


Clic here to read the story from its source.