Egypt's Banque Misr seen launching its first digital bank by May-end    Swvl to invest $20 million in Egyptian market this year    Gold prices in Egypt on May 19    Egypt to inaugurate new Sphinx International Airport in mid-July    Turkey's finance minister to visit Egypt for first time in 9 years    Finland and Sweden formally apply to join NATO alliance    Saudi Arabia prolongs Yemen central bank's deposit    Egypt Knauf launches its first training centre in Egypt    Egypt uncovers official logo for COP27    Noura Al-Mutair – first Gulf female boxer in World Championships    Egypt unveils 50 pound coin minted to mark Avenue of Sphinxes grand reopening    Liverpool fans: "You'll Never Walk Alone" to Cristiano Ronaldo    Hot, rainy weather hits Egypt this week    COVID-19 in Egypt: infections fall to 124 cases last week    Egypt to play key role in integrating water, climate issues globally – World Bank official    Egypt's telecoms regulator announces working hours for holy month of Ramadan    Maha karara joins AAIB as Head of Corporate Communications, Sustainability    Egypt works on charting cooperation strategies with international institutions for 5 years: Al-Mashat    Over 2.4 million newborns examined for hearing impairment: Health Ministry    Netflix releases trailer of Arab adaption of 'Perfect Strangers' film    Balqees to headline concert celebrating launch of streaming giant LIVENow in MENA    Sawsan Badr to be honoured at Aswan Women Film Festival    MP Abdel Hady Al-Qasby calls government to facilitate and support NGOs    Al-Sisi follows up on 'Great Transfiguration Project' in St. Catherine    Cairo, London stress need to strengthen cooperation to face climate change    Foreigners account for 22.6% of Egypt's T-bills issuances in 1H 2021: CBE    Egypt's ambassador to Italy passes away    Egypt confirms readiness to help African countries face terrorism and extremism    An estimated 235 million people needed humanitarian assistance and protection in 2021, an increase of 40% compared to 2020: IOM Egypt    Egypt, DRC discuss water cooperation during WYF    Egypt, DR Congo discuss boosting bilateral cooperation during WYF    Cameroonian police probe assault on three Algerian journalists covering AFCON    Pharaohs start AFCON 2021 campaign with fierce clash against Nigeria    Foreign Ministry opens capacity building course for French-speaking African diplomats    Egypt's trade with Nile basin countries climbs 26% y-o-y in 9 months    Ethiopia halts work at its embassy in Egypt for 'economic reasons'    Russia says it's in sync with US, China, Pakistan on Taliban    It's a bit frustrating to draw at home: Real Madrid keeper after Villarreal game    Shoukry reviews with Guterres Egypt's efforts to achieve SDGs, promote human rights    Sudan says countries must cooperate on vaccines    Johnson & Johnson: Second shot boosts antibodies and protection against COVID-19    Egypt to tax bloggers, YouTubers    Egypt's FM asserts importance of stability in Libya, holding elections as scheduled    We mustn't lose touch: Muller after Bayern win in Bundesliga    Egypt records 36 new deaths from Covid-19, highest since mid June    Egypt sells $3 bln US-dollar dominated eurobonds    Gamal Hanafy's ceramic exhibition at Gezira Arts Centre is a must go    Italian Institute Director Davide Scalmani presents activities of the Cairo Institute for ITALIANA.IT platform    







Thank you for reporting!
This image will be automatically disabled when it gets reported by several people.



Libya ceasefire breakthrough
Published in Ahram Online on 27 - 10 - 2020

The two sides of the 5+5 Joint Military Commission (JMC) signed a permanent ceasefire agreement in Geneva last Sunday, spurring hopes of reviving the stalled political process and ending years of civil war. As the international community welcomed the agreement, Libyans felt a wave of optimism and relief, albeit tempered with caution and appeals to international stakeholders to ensure all parties remain committed to implementing the provisions of the agreement.
The agreement struck by the 5+5 Commission (which is made up of five officers from the Libyan National Army and five officers from the forces fighting for the Government of National Accord — GNA) coincided with the ninth anniversary of Libyan liberation from the dictatorship of Muammar Gaddafi, which was achieved with the aid of NATO military intervention. The coincidence came as a surprise to observers since, according to the agenda, the activities of the commission were due to conclude the following day.
The ceasefire agreement, a copy of which was obtained by Al-Ahram Weekly, consists of a number of general principles followed by the terms of the agreement in 12 points. The principles emphasise the territorial integrity and unity of Libya and the need to refrain from rendering the national decision-making and resources of the country hostage to any external power. They also state that combating terrorism must remain a common national policy pursued by all state institutions and underscore the need to respect human rights and the rules of international humanitarian law.
The most salient terms of the agreement call for the withdrawal of all military units and armed groups from all confrontation lines, for the departure of all mercenaries and foreign fighters from Libyan territories within 90 days, and for the suspension of military agreements on training and the departure of training crews until a new unified government assumes its functions. The agreement establishes a Security Operations Room to propose and implement special arrangements to secure the areas cleared of military units and armed groups and deter expected violations. The resources necessary for this operation are to be provided by all parties.
The agreement also adopts the six proposals announced by the UN Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) following the JMC meeting in Hurghada on 28-29 September. A major purpose of these proposals is “to secure the safe passage of civilians, supply convoys and humanitarian organisations”.
The US, the UK, France, Russia, Italy, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Jordan, Iran, Kuwait, Algeria, Tunisia, Morocco and Qatar issued statements wholeheartedly supporting the ceasefire agreement. The UN, EU, African Union (AU), Arab League and NATO also saluted the breakthrough. The only sour note came from Turkey whose President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, questioned the agreement's viability. “The ceasefire agreement that has been signed is not a ceasefire at the highest level. Time will show how lasting it will be at lower levels,” he told reporters in Istanbul 23 October. He also questioned the possibility of withdrawing mercenaries, “such as the Russian Wagner Group”, within three months.
In Libya itself, diverse reactions among both eastern and western factions reflect the postures they are preparing for the Libyan Political Dialogue Forum (LPDF) that is due to convey in Tunisia 9 November. UNSMIL has already begun preparatory meetings with representatives of the House of Representatives and the High Council of State (HCS) as well as with other political figures who are expected to attend the forum.
In western Libya, Fayez Al-Sarraj, chairman of the Presidency Council of the GNA in Tripoli, said the ceasefire agreement concluded by the military commission would pave the way for the success of the political and economic tracks of the UN sponsored peace process. Nevertheless, he stressed the need to “show no mercy towards those who committed crimes against the Libyan people and who left behind mines and mass graves when they withdrew”. Members of the LNA have been alleged to have committed war crimes and crimes against humanity during its western offensive.
Ahmed Omar Maiteeq, one of the vice chairmen of the Presidency Council, welcomed the ceasefire without reservations. The HCS similarly hailed the ceasefire when it was signed. However, two days later, the consultative body referred to the ceasefire as an agreement “between a legitimate authority and a rebel force” and voiced reservations on points related to the departure of mercenaries, the suspension of military training agreements and the departure of trainers.
To the east, House of Representatives Speaker Aguila Saleh hailed the agreement but kept his remarks to a minimum, perhaps because he is focused on his campaign to field himself as chair of the new Presidency Council expected to emerge from the LPDF.
LNA Commander Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar also welcomed the agreement and reaffirmed his commitment to a permanent ceasefire. In a press conference Saturday, LNA Spokesman Major General Ahmed Al-Mismari added that the agreement required a “fair and genuine guarantor” and a “deterrent force” that would compel all parties to implement its terms.
The internationally sponsored permanent ceasefire agreement is the first of its kind in Libya since 2011. On the other hand, some of its points are vague, especially those concerning the interim capital and the duties, composition and mechanisms of the Security Operations Room and the limited military force stipulated in the agreement to deter violations. As with all agreements struck by Libyan players since 2011, details about important issues are relegated to sub-committees while commissions tend to confine themselves to generalities in order to avert tensions.
Unsurprisingly, the ceasefire agreement did not identify the foreign mercenaries and fighters on Libyan territory. This lack of clarity offers an opening for varying interpretations and evasion on what has become one of the most sensitive and complex aspects of the Libyan conflict. “Libyans are looking for less rather than more foreign military presence in their country. We share that interest,” US Ambassador to Libya Richard Norland told the London-based Asharq Al-Awsat 22 October. Some have interpreted Norland's remarks as a sign that Washington believes that certain foreign parties will attempt to strike arrangements to legitimise the continued presence of their mercenaries in Libya.
Although the ceasefire is a major step towards the LPDF next month, the path is not entirely smooth yet. The list of expected attendees that UNSMIL announced Sunday triggered considerable opposition among Libyan political circles, especially in Tripoli. In addition, the preparatory meetings that UNSMIL has held since the beginning of September have failed to make tangible progress towards finalising the forum's agenda and the mechanisms and criteria for nominating and selecting candidates for the new executive authority. In light of such difficulties, the US, EU powers and the UN asked Al-Sarraj to stay on as Presidency Council chairman and GNA prime minister until a new executive authority is chosen. Last month, Al-Sarraj had announced his intention to step down before the end of October.
*A version of this article appears in print in the 29 October, 2020 edition of Al-Ahram Weekly


Clic here to read the story from its source.