EU keeps UK waiting on Brexit delay, Johnson gears for an election    African continent is one of the main markets attracting investment and trade    EU lawmakers reject Turkey's 'safe zone' in Syria, eye sanctions steps    Putin aims to boost Moscow's clout with Russia-Africa summit    River reaches Copa Libertadores final despite loss at Boca    Germany may grant UK short Brexit extension to allow smooth ratification    Guardiola backs 'extraordinary' Sterling to keep on improving    Manchester United ban supporter for alleged racist abuse in Liverpool draw    Cairo to host Munich Security Conference follow-up meeting this week    Egypt's Investment Minister praises China's Belt, Road initiative    Gold moves sideways as investors seek clarity on Brexit, trade war    Oil drops after data shows bigger-than-expected build in U.S. inventory    European markets mostly lower as Brexit hits another roadblock    Deploying all tools for GERD    Selling water and electricity to Egypt    ‘Uncovering the potential for cooperation'    Cairo drowning    Taxes on the bourse    Liverpool's Egyptian star Mohamed Salah among 2019 Ballon d'Or nominees    Egypt's parliament endorses €205 mln loan deal with EBRD to upgrade Cairo Metro's first line    Egypt's train fares to not increase until developing services – minister    Liverpool's Egyptian winger Salah ruled out of Manchester United clash    WHO hails 'triumph' as Ebola vaccine gets European green light    Current and ex smokers may lower lung cancer risk with exercise    France's President Macron receives Egypt's Coptic Pope Tawadros II at Elysee    After a young pupil dies of meningitis in Egypt, tips to help prevention    Grand Nile Tower Arts & Cultural Centre launches second round    Egypt's coach Hossam El-Badry satisfied with winning start despite technical problems    Luxor's new discoveries    Moroccan film Nomades scoops awards in Alexandria Film Festival    Six authors vie for Booker prize 2019, Atwood in the lead    In Photos: A sneak peek into rehearsals for the Cleopatra ballet world premiere    Sisi: army engaged in attrition phase against terrorism in Sinai since 2013    Sisi, Ethiopia's PM to meet in Moscow to discuss GERD issue    Sisi, Ethiopia's PM agree to overcome obstacles in Nile dam talks    Farwell to Egyptian comic actor Talaat Zakaria    Court sentences six to death, 41 to lifetime imprisonment violence related case    Trump says he would release Mideast peace plan after Israeli elections    ACWA Power compares 3 bids to supply production units for Luxor power station    What do you know about gold alloying?    NBE announces EGP 2.5m prizes for handball youth teams for their world achievements    Jennifer Lopez evokes Egyptian outrage post her North Coast performance    Al-Sisi honours Egypt's scholars on Science Day    IS claims responsibility for suicide bombing killing 63 in Afghan wedding    Political parties gear up for parliamentary, senate, local elections    Unprecedented Glory: Egypt win Men's U-19 World Handball Championship    12th National Egyptian Theatre Festival fuel up public theatre art scene    Ministry of Environment has a plan for "black clouds season"    







Thank you for reporting!
This image will be automatically disabled when it gets reported by several people.





Taliban suicide bomb in southern Afghanistan claims 20 more lives as election nears
Published in Ahram Online on 19 - 09 - 2019

A powerful early morning suicide truck bomb devastated a hospital in southern Afghanistan on Thursday, killing as many as 20 people and wounding more than 90 others, an official said, as national elections near later this month.
The Taliban, who claimed responsibility for the boming, have carried out nearly daily attacks since peace talks with the United States collapsed earlier this month.
Thursday's massive explosion destroyed part of the hospital in Qalat, the capital of southern Zabul province, and left a fleet of ambulances broken and battered.
Residents, many of whom had come to see their sick family members, used shawls and blankets to carry the wounded inside the destroyed building, while authorities scrambled to take the worst of the wounded to hospitals in nearby Kandahar.
In the hours immediately after the explosion, there were contradictory figures of the dead and wounded. The provincial governor's spokesman Gul Islam Seyal put the death toll at 12 but said authorities were on the scene sifting through the debris. Atta Jan Haqbayan, head of the provincial council, put the death toll at 20.
Morning prayers had just finished when worshippers were stunned by the ear-splitting blast that destroyed parts of a mosque adjacent to the hospital and the hospital building, said Mahboob Hakimi, a resident of Qalat.
Windows in his home nearly two kilometers (over one mile) away were shattered by the blast, he said.
A Taliban spokesman, Zabihullah Mujahed, said in a tweet said the target was a nearby intelligence office, which he claimed was destroyed and ``tens of intelligence operatives killed/wounded.''
Haqbayan said the wall of the National Security Department (NDS) building was damaged. He couldn't say whether any personnel were among the casualties.
The provincial governor, Rahmatullah Yarmal, said many of the dead and wounded were women and children. On Twitter, an Afghan National Security Forces personnel posted a picture of a six-month-old child saying they were searching through the rubble for the parents and sought the public's help.
President Ashraf Ghani's spokesman, Sediq Sediqqi, condemned the attack in Zabul, tweeting that the Taliban ``continue to target civilians while their leaders travel to Iran and Russia,'' a reference to the Taliban negotiators recent forays seeking support abroad.
The violence has further rattled the country as it prepares for national elections later this month. Two separate bombings on Tuesday, including one that targeted Afghan President Ashraf Ghani's election rally, killed 48 people, mostly civilians. The Taliban took responsibility for both attacks.
Suhail Shaheen, the Taliban's spokesman for their political office in the Middle Eastern state of Qatar, said in a tweet that a cease fire had been part of a U.S.-Taliban deal before President Trump declared it ``dead.'' He did not elaborate and earlier defended Taliban attacks prior to an agreement signing, saying both sides in the conflict had carried out attacks.
*This story was edited by Ahram Online


Clic here to read the story from its source.