Valencia beat Barcelona 2-1 to win the Copa del Rey    Heavy fighting in Libyan capital    Preview: Egypt's Zamalek eyeing maiden Confed Cup title in Alexandria decider    Lewandowski strikes twice as Bayern seal German double    Welcome to e-Ramadan    Will IS strategy change after defeat in Syria and Iraq?    Egypt's Illicit Gains Authority unfreezes assets of Mubarak-era interior minister, key aide    UAE honours Egyptian icons for 2019 Year of Tolerance    The ‘Deal of the Century' is not the end    Solar energy and the future    All credit to Egyptian women    In search of historical women    Suez Canal Authority head hails role of simulation centre in training his staff    Why the dollar went south    Kenya's high court unanimously upholds ban on gay sex    72nd Cannes Film Festival: It's all about fresh talents    SODIC to pay EGP 1.2bn of outstanding land dues in 2019    Fanzir plans to launch 3 projects, open HQ in Egypt: Aljishi    Tazkarty, online booking for AFCON tickets launched    Egypt saves $350m by improving energy efficiency: Petroleum Ministry    US warns Al-Assad following suspected chemical attack    Huawei sales will not be affected by Google's suspension of business: MTI    Four women challenge male-dominated food market in Ramadan    Lack of proper waste management in Egypt causes accumulation of marine plastic litter    Aiisha Ramadan & SADAFA Collaborate for SS'19 Arab Fashion Week    Shoukry, Sadadi convene in Cairo over regional updates    Banking draft law will not impose term limits on state-owned banks' board members: source    12 alleged militants killed in two separate raids in Al-Arish    Repatriation: Why Western museums should return African artefacts    Omani author Jokha Alharthi wins prestigious Booker International Prize    Al-Karma to publish Tawfik's last short story collection in June    Breaking the record    Amending judicial regulations    Pre-emptive strikes    Mubarak speaks    Newsreel    Connected for exams    Egypt name national team's initial squad for AFCON 2019    General Prosecutor orders release of five prominent detainees    Mascot revealed, tickets on sale    Only one path to glory    Messages to Tehran    Don't miss Al-Leila Al-Kebira puppet theatre operetta at Al-Hanager Arts Centre    In search of historical women    Twelve alleged militants killed in shootout with police    Malawians vote in tough presidential election    Angry at being dubbed a hustler, Maradona dismisses new film    The alternative economy in Ramadan    







Thank you for reporting!
This image will be automatically disabled when it gets reported by several people.





US, Russia say cannot support a UN call for Libya truce: Diplomats
Published in Ahram Online on 19 - 04 - 2019

The United States and Russia both said on Friday they could not support a United Nations Security Council resolution calling for a ceasefire in Libya at this time, diplomats said, as mortar bombs crashed down on a suburb of the Libyan capital, Tripoli.
Russia objects to the British-drafted resolution blaming eastern Libyan commander Khalifa Haftar for the latest flare-up in violence when his Libyan National Army (LNA) advanced to the outskirts of Tripoli earlier this month, diplomats said.
The United States gave no reason for its position on the draft resolution, which would also call on countries with influence over the warring parties to ensure compliance and for unconditional humanitarian aid access in Libya, which has been gripped by anarchy since Muammar Gaddafi was toppled in 2011.
The United States' U.N. mission declined to comment and the Russian U.N. mission did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
A resolution needs nine votes in favor and no vetoes by the United States, Britain, France, Russia or China - the so-called permanent five - to pass. It was not immediately clear if Britain would persist with negotiations on a draft next week.
The United States and Russia made their positions clear during a closed-door council briefing by U.N. Libya envoy Ghassan Salame, who diplomats said appealed for a ceasefire, warning that weapons were pouring into the country and it was heading toward a serious humanitarian situation.
The U.S. reluctance to support Security Council action is in contrast to Washington's earlier public opposition to Haftar's offensive, which began while U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres was visiting Tripoli.
Some U.N. diplomats have suggested the United States might be trying to buy time as President Donald Trump's administration works out how to deal with the latest developments in Libya.
"I think there are a range of views in Washington on the policy side and they haven't reconciled them and they're not entirely certain where the president is on it," said a senior U.N. diplomat, speaking on condition of anonymity.
"The American system is trying to evaluate all the scenarios and work out which one is in America's best interest and just hasn't done that yet," the diplomat said.
CONCERN
Haftar's forces predicted victory within days, but Prime Minister Fayez al-Serraj's internationally recognized government has bogged them down in southern suburbs with help from armed groups from various western Libyan factions.
A united Security Council informally expressed concern on April 5, calling on all forces to de-escalate and halt military activity and specifically calling out the LNA.
In the following days, the council was unable, however, to issue a more formal statement, diplomats said, as Russia objected to a reference to the LNA, while the United States said it could not agree to a text that did not mention Haftar's forces.
U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo then said in a statement on April 7 that "we have made clear that we oppose the military offensive by Khalifa Haftar's forces and urge the immediate halt to these military operations against the Libyan capital."
French Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian spoke with Pompeo about Libya on Thursday and both agreed on the need for a "rapid" ceasefire and return to the U.N-led political process, the French foreign ministry said in a statement. Paris has given Haftar support in the past.


Clic here to read the story from its source.